The camping weekend at Woodland Valley Farm near Ladock was great. I haven't met Chris, the owner yet - just spoken to him on the phone a few months ago when we considered that place for the selection weekend. What a find! He's linked to the guys at Survival Matters - http://www.footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk/ and they offered us training some time ago so it was nice to hear good things about Spanner - he's spent 3 years in Borneo so should have lots of know-how that we need to absorb.
We had a great campfire although the temperature must have been close to freezing with the ice on our car roofs. Bella, the pregnant pig, was snorting away in the barn we slept in. We're hoping that we can finish off the clay stove when we go back, which will be soon. It's so efficient with only a few sticks needed to heat a couple of large pans full of water - and that's the small one that was made last time. The new one we started was about twice the size!
I'd imagine we're going to put information on small projects like this on both sites - www.fxpedition2010.com and www.expeditionborneo.org.
All of this outdoorsy stuff really gets me thinking. I've been planning what I'm going to do when I get back from Borneo, and so far, I've decided to buy a van before I go and get it ready to live in. I'll need a fuel-efficient stove/oven, and a shower and toilet. All nice DIY stuff - every guy needs a project, right? Hopefully I won't bite off more than I can chew, or I'll be very cold in 2011.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment